All your holiday planning and preparation comes down to a single point, a single moment i.e. the US Visa Interview. Applicants have had mixed experiences and have termed this interview to be a bit stressful.
It is extremely crucial for everyone to prepare well in advance for the interview. Along with a good amount of preparation tips, we have some do’s and don’ts, which you may consider during your visa interview. These tips will help you feel prepared when you steps up to the Consular Officer’s counter for luck with the US visa.
Stay well versed with your US Visa Application form details
The US Visa process is so tedious and time consuming that one may easily get flustered or forgetful during the stressful moments of the US visa interviews. Taking some time to review your application beforehand will help you to stay on track when you answer questions.
Prove that you intend to return home
You should be able to prove that you have no intention to stay in the US forever. You have a well established life in your home country. Ties to your home country can be demonstrated through your family ties, employment, financial interests and so forth.
Be thorough with your US Travel Plans
Your ability to articulate your purpose of travel to the US is critical in convincing the consular official that your intention is to visit the US for tourism or business and not to immigrate. Finally, applicants should be familiar with the information provided in the US nonimmigrant visa form/DS-160.
Be presentable and act in a gentle manner
Be confident in your answers, wear formal clothes and remain calm. Be polite, do not argue and ask unnecessary or unrelated questions. Do not elaborate your answers unless asked to.
Have your paperwork ready
- Valid Passport issued within the last 10 years and valid for at least three months.
- Dully filled non-immigrant visa (NIV) application Form DS-156.
- Print out of appointment confirmation page and fee payment receipt.
- Covering letter explaining details of the trip.
- Personal and professional documents such as bank statements, income tax returns, salary slips, leave letter, school/college ID etc.
- Business documents if visiting for business purpose.
- Any other documents as required by the US Embassy.
Tips for filling the USA Visa form
- Ensure that you fill all the boxes. Do not leave any section blank. Write NA, none or nil where not applicable.
- A signature is required on the application form for all applicants above the age of 14. One of the parents will need to sign if the applicant is less than 14 years old.
- Make sure to attach the photograph to the application form.
- Mention the address where you have been living for the last six months. Your permanent address mentioned in the passport can be different.
- Be specific in describing your occupation: e.g. software engineer, trader in chemicals, manager in travel company, MD of pharmaceutical company. Just mentioning ‘Business’ or ‘Service’ is not enough.
You should practice for the US Visa Interview
You can expect your US visa interview to cover questions about your itinerary, places you intend to visit in the US, things you plan to do in the US, your occupation, family members etc. Ask a friend or relative to do a practice interview with potential questions. It will help you to be more relaxed and confident on the day of your interview.
One of the top reasons for the USA visa rejection is presenting false information. Provide a genuine reason for travel to the US and submit authentic documents only.
Listen carefully to the Interviewer
During the US visa interview, pay full attention to the interviewer. If you do not understand a question, don’t try to answer it, instead request the Consul Officer to rephrase it.
Do not panic
A great way to stay calm and centered is to take a deep breath each time you are about to start speaking. Deep, conscious breaths will keep you centered and grounded throughout the process. Make sure you review all of your information before attending the interview.
Request for Translator
For US visa applicants who do not speak English fluently, translators in Gujarati, Hindi, Marathi etc. are available. A negative impression gets created if you’re not able to communicate confidently. You can request for a translator of the language available other then English. This service is specially available for Mumbai applicants. If at all you speak fluent English, practice English conversation with a native speaker before the interview, you can provide clear and concise information. However, do NOT prepare long speeches.
Attending the US visa interview can be nerve-wrecking and especially if its your first time. Many of our guests wonder, and even worry about the US visa interview process, but are at ease once they’ve spoken with our Visa Experts, who take care of the complete US visa process, as well as, provide tips and tricks to clear the US visa interview.
You might also like:
- US Visa for Indians: Visa Types, Application Process & Fees
- Types of US Visas – Immigrant and Nonimmigrant Visas
- Step by Step guide to US visa application
- How to apply for a US Visa
- Tips to get a US Visa for Indians
- Procedure to renew a US Visa
- List of countries you can visit on a valid US Visa
- Everything you need to know about US Visa
- Tips to pass the US visa interview
- The US visa application process
- Reasons for US Visa rejection
- Know what to expect at the US visa interview
- US transit visa application and requirements
- How to apply for US student visa
- US Visa interview: Do’s & Don’ts
- US Visa interview questions and answers
Apply Visa Online
Dubai Visa Online | 14 days Dubai Visa | 30 days Dubai Visa | 90 days Dubai Visa | Dubai Transit Visa | UAE Visa | Singapore Visa | Malaysia Visa | Thailand Visa | Sri Lanka Visa | US Visa | UK Visa | Schengen Visa | Canada Visa | Australia Visa | New Zealand Visa | France Visa | Italy Visa | Turkey Visa Online | Philippines Visa | Cambodia Visa Online | Vietnam Visa Online | Oman Visa
International Holiday Packages
Dubai Tour Packages | Singapore Tour Packages | Thailand Tour Packages | Malaysia Tour Packages | Sri Lanka Tour Packages | US Tour Packages | United Kingdom Tour Packages | South Africa Tour Packages | Europe Tour Packages | Bali Tour Packages | Mauritius Tour Packages | Maldives Tour Packages | Cordelia Cruise Packages |
Domestic Holiday Packages
India Tour Packages | Goa Tour Packages | Kerala Tour Packages | Leh Ladakh Tour Packages | Himachal Tour Packages | Andaman Tour Packages | Rajasthan Tour Packages | Uttarakhand Tour Packages | Jammu and Kashmir Tour Packages
Packages by Themes
Pune Bangalore Flights | Chennai Delhi Flights | Bangalore Chennai Flights | Mumbai Delhi Flights | Bangalore Hyderabad Flights | Ahmedabad Goa Flights | Mumbai Kolkata Flights | Hyderabad Delhi Flights | Bangalore Goa Flights | Mumbai Goa Flights
Delhi Dubai Flights | Delhi Bangkok Flights | Delhi Toronto Flights | Mumbai Dubai Flights | Delhi Singapore Flights |Delhi London Flights | Delhi Kathmandu Flights | Mumbai London Flights | Chennai Singapore Flights | Mumbai Singapore Flights | Delhi New York Flights |Kolkata Bangkok Flights