All your preparation, hard work, aspirations everything comes down to a single point, a single moment i.e. the US Visa Interviews.
Applicants have had mixed experiences and have termed this interview to be a bit stressful. Furthermore, it is extremely crucial for everyone to prepare well in advance for the interview.
Along with a good amount of preparation tips, we have some Do’s and Don’ts, which you may consider during your visa interview. Be on Time!
Stay well versed with your USA Visa application form details:
One may get easily flustered or forgetful during the stressful moments of the US visa interviews. Taking some time to review your application beforehand will help you to stay on track when you answer questions.
Be presentable and act in a gentle manner:
Be confident in your answers, wear formal cloths and demonstrate some respect. The interviewing office will always be an American and they appreciate formal attire. Be polite, do not argue and ask unnecessary or unrelated questions. Do not elaborate your answers for no good reason.
Your Current address is Important:
If you have lived in your new location for less than 6 months, then you need to go to the place listed as your permanent address. This is especially applicable when people move for, say, further studies or a new job.
Indian citizens living in the US and applying for a new USA visa to replace an expiring one can request an appointment at any of the four visa sections in New Delhi, Chennai, Mumbai and Kolkata.
Do not forget to carry your documents:
- Passport valid for travel to the United States
- You need to completed non-immigrant visa (NIV) application Form DS-156.
- All male visa applicants between the ages of 16 and 45 should also fill out DS-157 along with DS-156.
Tips for filling the USA visa form:
- Ensure that you fill all the boxes. Write NA, None or Nil where not applicable. Fill the form with a black ballpoint pen.
- A signature is required on the application form for all applicants above the age of 14. Either of the parents can sign if the applicant is less than 14 years old.
- Make sure to attach the photograph to the application form.
- Mention the address where you have been living for the last six months. Your permanent address mentioned in the passport can be different.
- Be specific in describing your occupation: e.g. software engineer, trader in chemicals, manager in travel company, MD of pharmaceutical company. Just mentioning ‘Business’ or ‘Service’ is not enough.
Carry the following list of documents, besides the above stated documents:
- Standardized test scores
- Transcripts, degrees, or certificates
- Financial documents (source of income and bank statement)
You should practice for the US visa Interviews:
You can expect your US visa interviews to cover questions about your itinerary, your place of residence, academic capability, personal finances, your occupation, etc. Ask a friend or relative to do a practice interview with potential questions. It will help you to be more relaxed and confident on the day of your interview.
One of the top reasons for USA visa rejection is presenting false information. Show authentic documents only.
Do not panic:
A great way to stay calm and centered is to take a deep breath each time you are about to start speaking. Deep, conscious breaths will keep you centered and grounded throughout the process. Make sure you review all of your information.
For visitor visa applicants who do not speak English, translators in Gujarati, Hindi, Marathi, Urdu, Malayalam, etc are available. You must ask for a translator of the language of your choice when you enter the consulate premises.
Also Read: Tips to pass the USA visa Interview
Visa Issuance Fee:
This is payable after the consular officer has confirmed that the visa has been issued. Pay only by a demand draft favoring the ‘US Embassy, New Delhi’ or ‘American Consulate General, Mumbai (or Chennai or Kolkata)’ as applicable. Withdraw the DD in the city your interview is held. Pay the USA visa fee only through a DD. In case of a refused visa, the applicant will have to cancel the DD to reclaim the amount subsequently.
If you follow the guidelines for the US visa Interviews, getting that visa should not be a problem.