Almost everyone wishes to sit beside a pristine lake, surrounded by lush greenery, and spend some quality time with their loved ones or even themselves. There is something soothing about gazing aimlessly at the still waters of the lake that puts our mind at ease. The cool breeze fluttering about and the chattering of birds all around, somehow add a touch of calmness to the overall experience. And we are lucky to be blessed with innumerable breath-taking lakes in India, which are scattered all over the country!
With the many picture-perfect and serene lakes that are nestled right between the snow-capped Himalayas to the backwaters of Kerala, and even in the middle of the scorching desert of Rajasthan, you are never too far away from planning a short expedition of your own. And if you feel like going on a big adventure, then most of these beautiful lakes in India can be easily reached by trains passing through scenic routes across the country and along the coasts!
Some brackish, some saline, some natural, some man-made, and some even have inhabited islands of their own! Here are some of the scenic, serene and surreal lakes in India that are sure to leave you spellbound:
1. Chilika Lake, Odisha
Asia’s largest brackish water lagoon – Chilika Lake, is spread over the Puri, Ganjam, and Khurda districts of Odisha on the eastern coast of India. It is an integral part of the coastal Odia culture and appears in the local legends and ancient poetries as well. Among the top biodiversity hotspots in India, it is home to several species of rare and endangered species of birds and animals. Chilika Lake is also a prime location where migratory birds flock throughout the year.
- Famous for birdwatching, boating, and fishing
- Winter home for migratory birds like waterfowl, flamingos, and shorebirds
- Largest Irrawaddy Dolphin habitat
- Nalabana island in the lagoon is a designated bird sanctuary
How to reach: Chilika Lake can be reached easily from Balugaon Railway Station.
Best time to visit: November to February
2. Dal Lake, Jammu and Kashmir
The “Jewel in the crown of Kashmir”, Dal Lake in Srinagar is probably one of the most famous lakes in India. An important part of all Jammu and Kashmir tour packages, we’ve all been mesmerized by its beauty after admiring it in the movies or described by people who have visited it atleast once. Now, instead of having a ‘second-hand’ experience of what others have felt and seen it’s time to catch a train and marvel at the beautiful Dal Lake in person.
- Mughal era gardens around Dal Lake
- Shikara rides
- Iconic houseboats
- Watch lotuses blooming in Raad – floating gardens between July and August
- Taste the authentic Kashmiri Wazwan during the Shikara ride.
- Floating markets and shops
How to Reach: Srinagar Railway station is just 14 km from Dal Lake.
Best time to visit: May to November
3. Vembanad Lake, Kerala
Vembanad Lake or Punnamanda Lake is the largest and longest freshwater lake in the state of Kerala. It is a beautiful picnic spot and a prominent backwater destination that can be reached easily by train. The Vembanad Lake is rich in biodiversity which adds to its picturesque beauty making it one of the top choices of nature photographers. Check out our Kerala tour packages, and head towards this beautiful lake in God’s own country.
- Indulge in various activities like boating, canoeing, and fishing.
- Watch dozens of migratory birds like Siberian cranes, Waterfowls, Larks, etc. that call it home.
- Vallam Kali – the world-famous Snake Boat Race that takes place during the Onam festival.
How to reach: Kottayam Railway station is just 13 km from Vembanad Lake.
Best time to visit: October to March
4. Nakki Lake, Rajasthan
One of the largest man-made lakes in India, Nakki Lake is located in the picturesque Aravalli hills at Mt. Abu – a famous hill station in India. A beautiful artificial evergreen oasis within the sweltering desert of Rajasthan, it is a must in all Rajasthan tour packages. The rich biodiversity of the nearby region and oddly shaped rocks add to the otherworldly charm of Nakki Lake.
- Go boating with your partner in this Love Lake of Mt. Abu.
- Horse riding is also available around the lake.
- Toad rock which resembles a toad about to jump into the lake.
- Pay your respect to Mahatma Gandhi at Gandhi Ghat where Mahatma Gandhi’s ashes were immersed.
How to reach: Abu Road railway station is just 28 km away from Nakki Lake.
Best Time to visit: Throughout the Year
5. Nainital, Uttarakhand
Nestled in the middle of Deodar covered lower Himalayas of Kumaon, Nainital is one of the most beautiful freshwater lakes in India and the star of our Uttarakhand tour packages. Often featured in many Bollywood movies, Nainital is also a very popular honeymoon destination. The crescent-shaped lake is surrounded by 7 hills and the Naina Devi temple, which is an important pilgrimage site in India.
- A trip to Nainital is incomplete without boating in the lake.
- Shop at the famous Mall Road nearby.
- Get a breathtaking view of the sunrise and sunset from the Nainital lake.
- Go for a relaxing walk or an interesting picnic at many lakes located close to Nainital.
How to reach: Kathgodam railway station is the nearest railway station to Nainital.
Best time to visit: All year round
Also Read: Top 15 Hill Stations In India To Visit
6. Loktak Lake, Manipur
Located at Moirang in the state of Manipur, Loktak Lake is the largest freshwater lake in South Asia famous for its floating islands called “Phumdis”. It is a large stretch of a water body that resembles a miniature inland sea. It is also designated as a wetland of high international importance owing to its ecological and biodiversity importance.
- Catch the bird’s eye view of the Loktak lake from Sendra.
- Indulge in boating and other water sports at Takmu water sports complex.
- Explore the last habitat of ‘Sangai’- the dancing deer of Manipur at the only floating National Park in the world, the Keibul Lamjao National Park on the Loktak lake.
- Explore how fishermen go through their daily lives on Phumdis living in the floating huts called Phumsangs
How to Reach: Jiribam railway station is closest to Loktak Lake.
Best time to visit: February to March.
7. Lonar Lake, Maharashtra
Lonar Lake in Maharashtra is one of the only four basaltic impact structures in the world formed due to a meteorite crash landing from space! Guess you can say this lake is simply out of this world! It is a natural wonder which has both saline and alkaline water in it. A haven for a variety of flora and fauna, Lonar Lake is a notified National Geo-Heritage Monument, which is situated amidst the mountains and volcanic terrains in the Deccan.
- You can go boating in Lonar Lake and gaze at the bluish-greenish lake.
- At times, the Lake turns pink due to a naturally occurring phenomenon which is truly a sight to behold.
- Various ancient temples are located near the lake.
- You can go trekking in the surrounding mountains.
- Trying authentic Maharashtrian cuisine, especially Shegaon Kachori must be also included in your Maharashtra holiday itinerary along with your visit to Lonar Lake.
How to reach: Jalna is the nearest major railway station to Lonar Lake.
Best time to visit: Between October and March
These lakes in India are not only a guaranteed source for uplifting mood but also a good place for some soul-searching. Imagine yourself with your loved ones having a picnic by a lake, playing in the water and taking part in several other activities available, and spending one of the most memorable day of your life surrounded by love and laughter, nothing describes pure bliss better than this!
The best part is that we can reach all of these beautiful lakes just by booking a ticket and hopping on a train to the closest railway station! By opting to visit any of these lakes of India from north to south and east to west by train, you not only get to experience the surreal destination but also get to see the beautiful countryside of our naturally blessed country.
Isn’t it amazing that the Indian railways not only helps us reach these beautiful sights of our country but also provides us with an opportunity to earn up to Rs. 80,000 per month in commissions!
You can become an IRCTC agent and have a source of extra income by still working at your current job or start and build your own travel brand.
Why Akbar Travels?
Because as a principal agent of IRCTC, Akbar Travels has the authority to issue IRCTC agent licenses. We also provide our IRCTC agents with a special portal to book all travel-related services, including bus and train reservations, flight bookings, visa services, IRCTC tour packages, travel insurance, money transfers, mobile recharges, bill payments and so much more!
Additionally, you can work from anywhere using our IRCTC mobile app. You can use your computer, laptop, or even your mobile phone to run your e-ticketing agency and start earning commissions on every booking from the get go. This gives you the maximum flexibility in your work schedule.
Add to it our constant support and initial training, and you are all set to be your own boss!
Grab the opportunity fast, do not let it pass!
- How to book a Railway Ticket in India
- List of Frequently Used Indian Railway Abbreviations
- 7 of the World’s Greatest Train Journeys
- Vande Bharat Express and 6 Other Fastest Trains in India
Apply Visa Online
Dubai Visa Online | 14 days Dubai Visa | 30 days Dubai Visa | 60 days Dubai Visa | Dubai Transit Visa | UAE Visa | Singapore Visa | Malaysia Visa | Thailand Visa | Sri Lanka Visa | US Visa | UK Visa | Schengen Visa | Canada Visa | Australia Visa | New Zealand Visa | France Visa | Italy Visa | Turkey Visa Online | Philippines Visa | Cambodia Visa Online | Vietnam Visa Online | Oman Visa
International Holiday Packages
Dubai Tour Packages | Singapore Tour Packages | Thailand Tour Packages | Malaysia Tour Packages | Sri Lanka Tour Packages | US Tour Packages | United Kingdom Tour Packages | South Africa Tour Packages | Europe Tour Packages | Bali Tour Packages | Mauritius Tour Packages | Maldives Tour Packages | Cordelia Cruise Packages |
Domestic Holiday Packages
India Tour Packages | Goa Tour Packages | Kerala Tour Packages | Leh Ladakh Tour Packages | Himachal Tour Packages | Andaman Tour Packages | Rajasthan Tour Packages | Uttarakhand Tour Packages | Jammu and Kashmir Tour Packages
Packages by Themes
Pune Bangalore Flights | Chennai Delhi Flights | Bangalore Chennai Flights | Mumbai Delhi Flights | Bangalore Hyderabad Flights | Ahmedabad Goa Flights | Mumbai Kolkata Flights | Hyderabad Delhi Flights | Bangalore Goa Flights | Mumbai Goa Flights
Delhi Dubai Flights | Delhi Bangkok Flights | Delhi Toronto Flights | Mumbai Dubai Flights | Delhi Singapore Flights |Delhi London Flights | Delhi Kathmandu Flights | Mumbai London Flights | Chennai Singapore Flights | Mumbai Singapore Flights | Delhi New York Flights |Kolkata Bangkok Flights