Kerala is famous for its scenic greenery and also the calming backwaters. The Kochi Water Metro is not only going to make the commute more efficient but also more scenic for the passengers. The first-of-a-kind ‘Water Metro’ service in India, the Project is going to be a step forward in the integrated transport system of Kerala as well as the entire India. Along with several other small-scale inaugurations, Prime Minister Modi also inaugurated the Kochi Water Metro Services on Tuesday, 25th April.
The Kochi Water Metro Service is a significant improvement in the infrastructure of the port city. It is a positive change in Kochi’s water transport sector and is going to be substantial to cut down the traffic in the areas.
Kochi Water Metro Route
The first line of the Kochi Water Metro Route in the first phase of the project is from High Court- Bolgatty- Vypeen. Industry Minister P Rajvee flagged the first service at the terminal-start function which was held at High Court Water Metro terminal in the city. The second line of the first phase is from Vytilla to Kakkanad terminals.
- The Kochi Water Metro will connect 10 islands in and around Kochi. This will be beneficial to over 1 lakh residents of the islands.
- India’s first water metro project was set up at a cost of Rs. 1,136.83 crore. The project is funded by the Government of Kerala and the German funding agency KfW.
- The Kochi Water Metro Service will have 78 electrically propelled hybrid ferries, manufactured by Cochin Shipyard Limited. They will have 38 terminals connecting to the mainland and vice-versa.
- With the ‘Kochi 1’ Metro Card, it is possible for passengers to avail of the service of both the Kochi Metro and the water metro.
- The Water Metro Kochi ticket price is Rs. 20 minimum and Rs. 40 maximum. Regular commuters can also get a travel pass. Rs. 180 for a weekly pass, Rs. 600 for monthly and Rs. 1500 for quarter yearly. Tickets can also be booked digitally.
- The initial water metro timings are from 7 AM and continue up to 8 PM. During peak hours, boats will ferry every 15 minutes.
- Those availing of the water metro services will not only avoid traffic but also cut down on travel time. The High Court-Vypeen route will take less than 20 minutes. The Vytilla-Kakkanad route will take 25 minutes.
- The total passenger capacity of each boat is 99 passengers. There are also dedicated spaces for wheelchairs and cycles. They also have an equivalent number of life jackets on board.
- The boats are air-conditioned with wide windows, to let passengers enjoy the scenic views of Kerala’s backwaters.
Kerala is already one of the best tourist destinations in India. According to the N.Y.Times, it is one of the 52 places to visit in 2023 for travellers. The one-of-a-kind Kochi Water Metro will further help in boosting the tourism of Kerala.
Want to see more of India? Don’t worry! Our India Tour Packages will cover all your needs.
- Tips For Cruising In A Houseboat In Kerala
- Why Kerala? The 12 Best Places To Visit In Kerala
- The 8 BEST Things To Do In Kerala
Apply Visa Online
Dubai Visa Online | 14 days Dubai Visa | 30 days Dubai Visa | 60 days Dubai Visa | Dubai Transit Visa | UAE Visa | Singapore Visa | Malaysia Visa | Thailand Visa | Sri Lanka Visa | US Visa | UK Visa | Schengen Visa | Canada Visa | Australia Visa | New Zealand Visa | France Visa | Italy Visa | Turkey Visa Online | Philippines Visa | Cambodia Visa Online | Vietnam Visa Online | Oman Visa
International Holiday Packages
Dubai Tour Packages | Singapore Tour Packages | Thailand Tour Packages | Malaysia Tour Packages | Sri Lanka Tour Packages | US Tour Packages | United Kingdom Tour Packages | South Africa Tour Packages | Europe Tour Packages | Bali Tour Packages | Mauritius Tour Packages | Maldives Tour Packages | Cordelia Cruise Packages |
Domestic Holiday Packages
India Tour Packages | Goa Tour Packages | Kerala Tour Packages | Leh Ladakh Tour Packages | Himachal Tour Packages | Andaman Tour Packages | Rajasthan Tour Packages | Uttarakhand Tour Packages | Jammu and Kashmir Tour Packages
Packages by Themes
Pune Bangalore Flights | Chennai Delhi Flights | Bangalore Chennai Flights | Mumbai Delhi Flights | Bangalore Hyderabad Flights | Ahmedabad Goa Flights | Mumbai Kolkata Flights | Hyderabad Delhi Flights | Bangalore Goa Flights | Mumbai Goa Flights
Delhi Dubai Flights | Delhi Bangkok Flights | Delhi Toronto Flights | Mumbai Dubai Flights | Delhi Singapore Flights |Delhi London Flights | Delhi Kathmandu Flights | Mumbai London Flights | Chennai Singapore Flights | Mumbai Singapore Flights | Delhi New York Flights |Kolkata Bangkok Flights