Looks like you are all set to fly away and start exploring everything that the beautiful country has to offer!
But what about communicating with locals? Or bargaining with the shopkeepers? Or asking for directions incase you are lost? Or even enquiring about the next bus or train or just a cab to reach your next destination?
Speaking a local language would definitely be an added advantage for your Singapore trip.
Singapore has four major languages – English, Malay, Tamil and Mandarin, apart from this, the locals also speak “Singlish” which is a very peculiar language spoken by mixing English with various local dialects and not bound by rules of grammar.
As a lot of people in Singapore speak and understand English, you don’t have to worry about facing the language barrier, but if you come across someone who does not, you can use the below mentioned phrases in the other official languages of Singapore.
Some Common Phrases in Malay with translations:
- To-long! – Help!
- Apa kabar – Hello
- Se la mat jalan – Good bye
- Terima kasih – Thank you
- Ya – Yes
- Teedak – No
- Ta-hoo-kah ber -da ha sa Ingris? – Do you speak English?
- Sa-ya tee dak fa-ham – I don’t understand
- Sama sama – Same
Some Common Phrases in Mandarin with translations:
- Ni hao (Nee how) – Hello
- Duì bú qi (dweì bú chi) – Excuse me
- Ni huì jiang Yingyu ma? (Nee hueijeeang Ying you ma) – Do you speak English
- Wo demingzi shi… (Wuo duh mingzuhshih…) – My name is…
- Péngyou (pung yo) – Friends
- Xiè xiè (shièh shièh) – Thank you
- Qing (ching) – Please
- Wo ting bù dong – I don’t understand
- Ni hao ma? (Nee how ma) – How are you?
- Hen hao (hun hao) – Very good
- Zaìjiàn (dsaì jiàn) – Good bye
- Weí xiàn (way shien) – Danger
Some Common Phrases in Tamil with translations:
- Alo! – Hi!
- Eppadi irukkinga?/Nalamaa? – How are you?
- Nienga? – And you?
- Nallaa irukéan!/Nalam!/Nandri! – I’m fine, thanks!
- Sari – Good
- Enakku udhavi seivienkala? – Can you help me?
- Romba Nandri – Thank you
- Paravaa illa – You’re welcome! (in response to Thank you)
- Mannikanum/ Alo! – Excuse me!
- Vaazhga! – Welcome! (to greet someone)
- Oru nimidam! – One moment please!
- Kaalai Vanakkam – Good morning!
- Maalai Vanakkam – Good evening!
- Iravu vanakkam – Good night!
- Poittu varén! – Goodbye!
Some Common Phrases in Singlish with translations:
- Ok lah – Ok
- Alamak! – What!/Oh, my gosh!
- Kopi Oh – Black Coffee
- Kopi Ais – Iced Coffee
- One Chicken Rice da bao – One chicken rice to take away
- Where bas? – Where is the bus stop?
- Wah liao so expensive lah – Good grief this is expensive
- Not good one lah – Not good
- Corright – Correct
- Repeat again or Ha? – I can’t hear you/ Can you repeat?
- How can lah? – How is that possible?
- Dun lai dat lah – Don’t be like that
- He so blur lah – He doesn’t know what he is doing
- Don’t be so kiasu lah – Don’t be so aggressive/hard/difficult
- I fly SQ lah – I am flying Singapore Airlines
We hope the above commonly used phrases come in handy during your trip.
Knowing these basic phrases will definitely help you communicate more clearly with the locals who are not fluent in English These phrases can come in handy incase you require some help or want to initiate conversation or just want to establish new friendships.
If you would like to add any more Singlish phrases which we may have missed, please feel free to comment below.
- Singapore Visa: Requirements, Application, Fees, Validity & More
- Roti, Rice and Everything Nice: The Singapore Food Guide
- Why everyone should visit Singapore at least once in their lifetime
- Top Money-Saving Tips for an Affordable Singapore Vacation
Apply Visa Online
Dubai Visa Online | 14 days Dubai Visa | 30 days Dubai Visa | 60 days Dubai Visa | Dubai Transit Visa | UAE Visa | Singapore Visa | Malaysia Visa | Thailand Visa | Sri Lanka Visa | US Visa | UK Visa | Schengen Visa | Canada Visa | Australia Visa | New Zealand Visa | France Visa | Italy Visa | Turkey Visa Online | Philippines Visa | Cambodia Visa Online | Vietnam Visa Online | Oman Visa
International Holiday Packages
Dubai Tour Packages | Singapore Tour Packages | Thailand Tour Packages | Malaysia Tour Packages | Sri Lanka Tour Packages | US Tour Packages | United Kingdom Tour Packages | South Africa Tour Packages | Europe Tour Packages | Bali Tour Packages | Mauritius Tour Packages | Maldives Tour Packages | Cordelia Cruise Packages |
Domestic Holiday Packages
India Tour Packages | Goa Tour Packages | Kerala Tour Packages | Leh Ladakh Tour Packages | Himachal Tour Packages | Andaman Tour Packages | Rajasthan Tour Packages | Uttarakhand Tour Packages | Jammu and Kashmir Tour Packages
Packages by Themes
Flights To Singapore
Pune Bangalore Flights | Chennai Delhi Flights | Bangalore Chennai Flights | Mumbai Delhi Flights | Bangalore Hyderabad Flights | Ahmedabad Goa Flights | Mumbai Kolkata Flights | Hyderabad Delhi Flights | Bangalore Goa Flights | Mumbai Goa Flights
Delhi Dubai Flights | Delhi Bangkok Flights | Delhi Toronto Flights | Mumbai Dubai Flights | Delhi Singapore Flights |Delhi London Flights | Delhi Kathmandu Flights | Mumbai London Flights | Chennai Singapore Flights | Mumbai Singapore Flights | Delhi New York Flights |Kolkata Bangkok Flights