Trains are probably the greatest inventions of all time by mankind. Whether you want to travel to some faraway land or just want to enjoy luxury on wheels, trains are always there for you. No matter how young or old you are, you always have some fond memories associated with train travel. If you are not in a jiffy and wish to travel to your destination and get a taste of each region you pass through, then train journeys especially some of the longest train journeys in the world are definitely your cup of tea.
Many trains in the world have a long journey time that not only extends to hours, but even to days and on a few occasions, even a week! Aboard these train journeys, you get to experience the different regions and climates that a train passes through, you get to live so many stories through the conversations with your co-passengers, and at times you may even get a chance to travel in the luxury as some of these trains are more opulent and magnificent than any luxurious hotel room you can find.
So, curious to know about the longest train journeys in the world? And how long they actually are? Read on to find out!
1. Trans-Siberian: Moscow to Vladivostok (Russia)
We firmly believe that all Russia tour packages must include a ride aboard the Trans-Siberian route. Why? Covering over 10,000 km in a little over a week, the Trans-Siberian takes the top spot as one of the world’s longest train journeys. Connecting Moscow and Vladivostok, train travelling across the Trans-Siberian route crosses over 16 major rivers, around 500 bridges, 90 cities, 876 stations, 3 countries, 2 continents and multiple time zones! You will be blessed with the vivid landscape of Russia, China, and Mongolia while on this route and also experience the mystic view of the Ural Mountains and Lake Baikal. So, are you ready to apply for your Russia visa?
- Route: Moscow – St. Petersburg – Perm – Yekaterinburg, Omsk – Novosibirsk – Krasnoyarsk – Irkutsk – Ulan De – Naushki (Russian Border) – Suhe Bator (Mongolian Border) – Ulan Bator – Dzamin Uud (Mongolian Border) – Erlian (Chinese Border) – Zabaikalsk (Russian Border) – Manzhouli (Chinese Border) – Harbin – Beijing – Khabarovsk – Vladivostok.
- Distance Covered: 10,214 km
- Travel Time: 7 days, 20 hours, and 25 minutes
2. The Canadian: Toronto to Vancouver (Canada)
Why do you need a Canada visa? To ride one of the longest train journeys in North America – The Canadian that runs between Vancouver and Toronto. This 4,500 km journey takes a little over 3 days to complete. The trains on this transcontinental journey take you through one of the most beautiful landscapes on the planet where you can watch endless fields of prairies, the Grand Rockies and the beautiful West Coast. This train journey through the historic route is all you will need to undertake to get a glimpse of the true beauty of Canada while enjoying your Canada tour package.
- Route: Toronto – Sudbury – Sioux Lookout – Winnipeg – Saskatoon – Edmonton – Kamloops – Jasper – Vancouver
- Distance Covered: 4,446 km
- Travel Time: 3 days, 12 hours
3. Indian Pacific: Sydney to Perth (Australia)
The Indian Pacific train journey in Australia is not just one of the longest train journeys but also features the longest stretch of straight railway tracks in the world. Book your Australia tour package and ride the Indian Pacific to come across many beautiful landscapes that will leave you awestruck. You will pass through cities with skyscrapers, forested valleys, sandstone cliffs, Blue Mountains, the desert of Broken Hill, and arid regions of South Wales just to name a few.
- Route: Sydney – Broken Hill – Adelaide – Cook – Rawlinna – Perth
- Distance Covered: 4,352 km
- Travel Time: 4 days, 3 nights
Also Read: Tips to get Australia Visa for Indians
4. Vivek Express: Dibrugarh to Kanyakumari (India)
Vivek Express takes you from Northeast India to South India and is one of the longest train journeys in India. The train travels over 4,200 km in over 3 days between Dibrugarh and Kanyakumari. Throughout the train journey, you will enjoy ever-changing landscapes ranging from colourful villages to various waterfalls and mountains, and even the coastal region. Book your India tour package now to enjoy the regional food aboard the Vivek Express while on your journey.
- Route: Dibrugarh – Dimapur – Guwahati – Kokrajhar – New Jalpaiguri – Malda Town – Asansol – Cuttack – Bhubaneswar – Visakhapatnam – Rajahmundry – Vijayawada – Salem – Coimbatore – Ernakulam – Kollam – Trivandrum – Kanyakumari
- Distance Covered: 4,219 km
- Travel Time: 3 days, 12 hours, 5 minutes
Want to earn extra income? Become an IRCTC agent!
Also Read:Railway Announces Special Festival Trains Ahead Of Holi
5. California Zephyr: Emeryville (San Francisco) to Chicago
Running between Emeryville and Chicago, the California Zephyr is one of the longest train journeys in the USA. One of the most beautiful train rides in the USA, it covers 3,900 km over the course of 2 days. The California Zephyr crosses through Denver and the plains of Nebraska, passes through Reno and Sacramento, offers a beautiful view of the Colorado River valley, the western slope of Colorado Canyon along with the Sierra Nevada and the Rockies. You will also come across the Bonneville Salt Flats, Ruby Mountains, and Goshute Valley, Truckee River, Yuba River and Utah Desert. If you wish to take full advantage of your US visa and experience the real beauty of America then you must add it to your US tour package.
- Route: Emeryville – Salt Lake City – Denver – Omaha – Chicago
- Distance Covered: 3,924 km
- Travel Time: 2 days, 3 hours, 40 minutes
Also Read: 7 of the World’s Greatest Train Journeys
6. Paris-Moscow Express: Paris (France) to Moscow (Russia)
You will love the Paris-Moscow Express if you are a true train fan. The Paris-Moscow Express is the longest train journey on the trans-European route and passes through Germany, Poland, and Belarus. It’s a great way to get the most use out of your Schengen visa! And the best part – you can experience the wheel-sets changing from standard European track gauge to Russian gauge at Brest! The journey offers a jaw-dropping panoramic view of Europe which you can enjoy while sipping a hot coffee in the restaurant car of the train and make your Europe tour package memorable forever.
- Route: Paris – Berlin – Warsaw – Brest – Minsk – Moscow
- Distance Covered: 3,483 km
- Travel Time: 1 day, 14 hours, 47 minutes
7. The Ghan: Darwin to Adelaide (Australia)
Specifically catering the tourists in Australia, the Ghan is a passenger train operating between the northern and southern coasts of Australia. The Ghan runs between Darwin and Adelaide and is one of the longest train journeys in Australia covering around 2,979 km in just over 2 days. You will be exposed to the spectacular beauty of the remote parts and the unique environment of Australia on your journey. And the best part is that you get served a regionally-inspired menu along with fine wines of Australia. It’s a fair enough reason to get an Australia visa, don’t you think?
- Route: Adelaide – Manguri – Marla – Alice Springs – Katherine – Darwin
- Distance Covered: 2,979 km
- Travel Time: 2 days, 6 hours
8. Eastern and Oriental Express: Bangkok (Thailand) to Singapore
Planning a holiday in Thailand and want to extend it all the way to Singapore? Then keep your Thailand and Singapore visa ready as the Eastern and Oriental Express is perfect for you! This, one of the most luxurious and the longest train journeys in Asia lets you enjoy your Thailand tour package and your Singapore tour package back to back non-stop! The train travels between Bangkok and Singapore covering over 2,000 km in 3 days. The train boasts of being extravagantly luxurious with richly decorated accommodations. It takes you through various ancient wonders, big cities, tropical forests and serene villages throughout its route.
- Route: Bangkok – Kanchanaburi – Kuala Kangsar – Singapore
- Distance Covered: 2,019 km
- Travel Time: 2 days, 16 hours, 40 minutes
Also Read: 7 Best Things To Do In Singapore
9. Blue Train: Pretoria to Cape Town (South Africa)
Another luxury train on the list – the Blue Train – is one of the longest train journeys in South Africa. The train travels over 1,600 km in 2 days and passes through the breath-taking diverse African sub-continent. You can say that the train is a 5-star hotel on wheels that lets you enjoy comfortable luxury accommodation with butler service, Cuban cigars and gourmet dinner. It passes through farmlands, lush forests and vineyards. Exciting, isn’t it? Get your South Africa visa now and add Blue train to your South Africa holiday itinerary to taste luxury unlike any other place.
- Route: Pretoria – Kimberley – Cape Town
- Distance Covered: 1,600 km
- Travel Time: 2 days, 3 hours, 40 minutes
10. Shanghai to Lhasa (China)
Shanghai to Lhasa – also known as Z164 – is the longest train journey in China. It is one of the most scenic train journeys in the world running from plains to higher plateaus. One can enjoy the beautiful view of Qinghai Lake, Tanggula Mountains and Nagchu Grasslands. You must include this one of a kind train journey in your China tour package where trains are equipped with oxygen supply systems to make your journey comfortable through the low-oxygen level regions in the Tibetan plateau.
- Route: Shanghai – Suzhou – Wuxi – Nanjing – Bengbu – Xuzhou – Zhengzhou – Xi’an – Lanzhou – Xining – Delingha – Golmud – Anduo – Nagchu – Lhasa
- Distance Covered: 4,373 km
- Travel Time: 2 days, 30 hours
This is a list of just a few of the longest train journeys in the world, where you can visit the best travel destinations with our International tour packages.
You don’t just get to enjoy the destination you are travelling to, but also get a beautiful experience of all the terrains and countryside of the countries you are visiting.
You can always try to save time by flying from one place to another, but travelling by train lets you get engrossed in the culture of the place, and also know a place much better than just hopping from one place to another.
These are simply once-in-a-lifetime experiences that should be on the bucket list of every traveler who wishes to see a place of their choice from a unique and different perspective.
- 8 Serene Buddhist Monasteries in India to visit by Train
- Best Scenic Train Journeys in Sri Lanka!
- Top Luxury Trains in India
Apply Visa Online
Dubai Visa Online | 14 days Dubai Visa | 30 days Dubai Visa | 90 days Dubai Visa | Dubai Transit Visa | UAE Visa | Singapore Visa | Malaysia Visa | Thailand Visa | Sri Lanka Visa | US Visa | UK Visa | Schengen Visa | Canada Visa | Australia Visa | New Zealand Visa | France Visa | Italy Visa | Turkey Visa Online | Philippines Visa | Cambodia Visa Online | Vietnam Visa Online | Oman Visa
International Holiday Packages
Dubai Tour Packages | Singapore Tour Packages | Thailand Tour Packages | Malaysia Tour Packages | Sri Lanka Tour Packages | US Tour Packages | United Kingdom Tour Packages | South Africa Tour Packages | Europe Tour Packages | Bali Tour Packages | Mauritius Tour Packages | Maldives Tour Packages | Cordelia Cruise Packages |
Domestic Holiday Packages
India Tour Packages | Goa Tour Packages | Kerala Tour Packages | Leh Ladakh Tour Packages | Himachal Tour Packages | Andaman Tour Packages | Rajasthan Tour Packages | Uttarakhand Tour Packages | Jammu and Kashmir Tour Packages
Packages by Themes
Honeymoon Packages | Adventure Packages | Visa on Arrival Packages | Family Packages | Romantic Packages | Weekend Getaways Packages
Pune Bangalore Flights | Chennai Delhi Flights | Bangalore Chennai Flights | Mumbai Delhi Flights | Bangalore Hyderabad Flights | Ahmedabad Goa Flights | Mumbai Kolkata Flights | Hyderabad Delhi Flights | Bangalore Goa Flights | Mumbai Goa Flights
Delhi Dubai Flights | Delhi Bangkok Flights | Delhi Toronto Flights | Mumbai Dubai Flights | Delhi Singapore Flights |Delhi London Flights | Delhi Kathmandu Flights | Mumbai London Flights | Chennai Singapore Flights | Mumbai Singapore Flights | Delhi New York Flights |Kolkata Bangkok Flights