New Year’s parties for those visiting Thailand soon got a little more exciting. For all travelers planning a trip to the ‘Land of Smiles’ in these coming months, we’ve got some great news for you. The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) is delighted to welcome the government’s decision to grant a Visa-on-Arrival waiver for tourists of entitled countries visiting Thailand. Starting from 15th November, 2018 to 13th January, 2019 the Thailand Visa on Arrival fee of 2000 baht (approx. INR 4400/-) will be waived for citizens of 21 countries including India. Yes, you read it right! Tourists from these countries will not need to pay the THB2,000 fee during this travel period, if staying no more than 15 days.
The 21 countries are Andorra, Bulgaria, Bhutan, China, Cyprus, Ethiopia, Fiji, India, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Lithuania, Maldives, Malta, Mauritius, Papua New Guinea, Romania, San Marino, Saudi Arabia, Taiwan, Ukraine and Uzbekistan.
The Thailand Visa on Arrival is available at 48 designated immigration checkpoints, which will allow tourists to enter the country for the purpose of tourism and stay up to 15 days. For stay of more than 15 days travelers will need to apply for a Thailand Visa before their travel.
Eligibility criteria for Thailand Visa on Arrival:
- Passport with atleast six months validity.
- A dully filled Visa-on-Arrival application form. (available at immigration checkpoints)
- Boarding pass
- Passport photograph
- A confirmed return ticket showing that you are flying out of Thailand within 15 days of entry. Open tickets do not qualify. Travelling out of Thailand by train, bus, etc to Cambodia, Laos, Malaysia (including en-route to Singapore), Myanmar, etc are not accepted as proof of exiting Thailand.
- A verifiable proof of address in Thailand (Hotel/ Apartment) as applicable. If visiting friends or relative provide Invitation letter & Thai ID proof.
- Proof of funds amounting to living expenses in Thailand i.e. 10000 Baht per person or 20000 Baht for family. This can be in the form of actual cash or a credit card. Bank account statements showing money in the account are also usually accepted.
Online Application for Thailand Visa on Arrival
The Royal Thai Government has launched “Online Application for Visa on Arrival” service to facilitate Indians to apply for Thailand visa at the immigration checkpoints on arrival for the purpose of tourism. This pre-arrival online application is only available for travelers arriving at Thailand Suvarnabhumi Airport. For travelers arriving via other immigration checkpoints, hardcopies of the application form will be available at the Thailand checkpoints.
List of Visa on Arrival Checkpoints:
- Suvarnabhumi Airport
- Don Muang International Airport , Bangkok
- Chiangmai International Airport , Chiangmai
- Phuket International Airport , Phuket
- Hatyai International Airport , Songkhla
- U Tapao Airport , Rayong
- Mae Sai Immigration Checkpoint , Chiangrai
- Chiang Saen Immigration Checkpoint , Chiangrai
- Chiang Khong Immigration Checkpoint , Chiangrai
- Betong Immigration Checkpoint , Yala
- Sadoa Immigration Checkpoint , Songkhla
- Samui Airport , Surat Thani
- Sukhothai International Airport, Tak Immigration Checkpoint
- Bangkok Harbour Immigration Checkpoint, Bangkok
- Sri Racha Immigration Checkpoint , Chonburi
- Mabtaput Immigration Checkpoint , Rayong
- Nong Khai Immigration Checkpoint, Nong Khai
- Samui Immigration Checkpoint , Surat Thani
- Phuket Immigration Checkpoint , Phuket
- Satun Immigration Checkpoint , Satun
- Krabi Immigration Checkpoint , Krabi
- Songkhla Harbour Immigraion Checkpoint , Songkhla
- Chiangrai Airport Immigration Checkpoint, Chiangrai
- Surat Thani Airport Immigration Checkpoint , Surat Thani
- Sattahip Habour Immigration Checkpoint, Chonburi
- Khlong Yai Immigration Checkpoint, Trat
- Pong Nam Ron Immigration Checkpoint, Chanthaburi
- Aranyaprathet Immigration Checkpoint, Sakaeo
- Mukdahan Immigration Checkpoint, Mukdahan
- Tak Immigration Checkpoint, Tak
- Padang Besar Immigration Checkpoint, Songkhla
- Su-ngai Kolok Immigration Checkpoint, Narathiwat
- Nong Khai Immigration Checkpoint, Nong Khai
- Bueng Kan Immigration Checkpoint, Bueng Kan
- Phibun Mangsahan Immigration Checkpoint, Ubon Ratchathani
- Tha Li Immigration Checkpoint, Loei
- Nakhon Phanom Immigration Checkpoint, Nakhon Phanom
- Nan Immigration Checkpoint, Nan
- Ban Prakob Immigration Checkpoint, Songkhla
- Khuan Don Immigration Checkpoint, Satun
- Tak Bai Immigration Checkpoint, Narathiwat
- Bukit Tal Immigration Checkpoint, Narathiwat
- Samut Prakan Checkpoint, Samut Prakan
- Kanchanaburi Land Border Checkpoint, Kanchanaburi
- Prachup Khiri Khan Checkpoint at Hua Hin Airport, Prachup Khiri Khan
- Phusing Land Border Checkpoint, Sisaket
- Satun Checkpoint at Koh Lipe Marine Port, Satun
- Trang Airport, Trang
Thailand is hoping to boost tourism, which accounts for 12 % of its economy during the peak New Year season making it one of the most important drivers of its growth. This approach is expected to increase tourist numbers by at least 30 % during this period. Their goal is to stay the top tourist destination in the region.
Go and grab this wonderful opportunity to finally make that long awaited trip of your lifetime to Thailand…the land of SMILES ?