Do you want to renew your Indian passport? Has your passport expired or about to expire? Are you low on blank passport pages, legally changed your name, damaged your passport or want to update your new residential address on the passport? Indians who fall in any of these categories should apply for or renew the passport at least six months (6) ahead of time.
When planning an international trip, the most important document is the passport! Certain countries require your passport to be valid for at least six (6) months beyond the dates of your trip. In fact some airlines will not allow you to board if this requirement is not met. Moreover, most embassies require a minimum number of blank pages on the passport for issuing a visa. Hence, your passport should have enough space for stamping the visa, as well as, entry and exit stamps. So, renewing your passport in time is highly important.
The process for renew or reissue of passport is fairly the same for a minor or adult. In most cases, the old passport will be canceled and returned to you. When you receive the new passport, the passport number will be different from the number on your previous passport.
When should you renew your passport?
- Exhaustion of pages – If all the pages of your passport have been used, you will need to apply for reissuance of passport. Ideally, a passport with all its pages used (visas, entry /exit stamps) will remain valid until its expiry date, however if you’re planning an international trip soon, you will need blank pages for the visa stickers and entry/exit stamps.
- Passport validity about to expire within one (1) year – Your passport does not have to be expired for you to renew it. If your passport has less than one (1) year of validity, you can apply for reissuance of passport. Also, it is recommended to renew the passport at least six (6) months before it expires, especially if you will be travelling to countries that require minimum six (6) months of passport validity.
- Passport validity expired – If your passport has expired within three (3) years, you will have to apply for reissuance of passport.
- Renewal of Short Validity Passport (SVP) – Short term validity passport is issued to students, Indians residing abroad, in the case of non-delivery of passport, or pending criminal cases for a shorter duration ranging from 1 to 5 years.
- Lost/Stolen Passport – If your passport has been lost or stolen, you should apply for a reissuance of passport. Indians who have lost their passport while abroad would be considered for an Emergency Certificate (EC). An EC is a one-way travel document valid only for returning back to India in the event of loss or stolen passport.
- Damaged Passport – If your Indian passport has been severely damaged, especially the page displaying your personal data and photo, you will need to apply for reissue of passport. Passport damages can be in the form of damage by water, a significant cut/tear, alterations/unofficial markings on the data page, missing or torn visa pages, a hole punch, or other such damages. In such a case, applicants will need to apply for reissuance of passport. A damaged passport is considered as an invalid document by the airline and you may be denied boarding.
- Change in existing personal particulars – In the event of change of personal particulars such as change in name (due to marriage/divorce etc), change in address, addition or deletion of spouse name etc, Indians will need to apply for reissuance of passport and must submit document proof such as marriage certificate, divorce decree, deed poll or court order.
What is the Indian passport validity?
An ordinary Indian passport is issued for ten (10) years from the date of issue. However, the Passport Officer can issue passport even for a shorter duration. Minors are generally issued passports for five (5) years or up to turning 18 years, whichever is earlier.
Supporting Documentation for Passport Renewal:
To renew/reissue your passport, you must submit the reissuance application form, your existing, or expired passport (along with copies of its first two and last two pages) and supporting documents depending upon the reason for reissuance. Since you already have a passport, a renewal requires fewer documents than when you apply the first time and will also take lesser time for processing.
How long does it take to renew an Indian passport?
In India renewal of passport can take anywhere between 15 to 20 days.
Regular Service: Between two (2) to three (3) weeks
Tatkal Service: Within three (3) working days
Tatkal passport service for passport renewal process in India:
Tatkal passport service is available for individuals who want a quicker turnaround. If you need to renew your passport sooner, you can speed up the process with a 3 working day expedited service. With regards to the Tatkal passport cost in India, you will have to pay Rs 4,499/-.
When to renew the passport?
To ensure you have enough buffer in hand, its best to renew your passport at least nine (9) months before its expiry date.
Check status of your passport application:
You can check your passport status online on the Passport Seva website.
Passport Renewal Process In India through Akbar Travels:
Our easy passport process helps eliminate any errors that could delay your application:
- Book the type of passport service online.
- Follow our step-by-step instructions.
- Visit the Passport Office on appointment day for submitting application and biometrics.
- Receive your passport.
Get your passport today!
Have any questions? Please contact us for any assistance.
For more inspiration, also read:
- What should I do with my expired passport?
- Visa-free countries where Indians don’t need a visa or get it on arrival
- Countries that offer E-Visas for Indian Passport Holders
- Toughest Visas to get for an Indian
- List of countries you can visit on a valid US Visa
Apply Visa Online
Dubai Visa Online | 14 days Dubai Visa | 30 days Dubai Visa | 90 days Dubai Visa | Dubai Transit Visa | UAE Visa | Singapore Visa | Malaysia Visa | Thailand Visa | Sri Lanka Visa | US Visa | UK Visa | Schengen Visa | Canada Visa | Australia Visa | New Zealand Visa | France Visa | Italy Visa | Turkey Visa Online | Philippines Visa | Cambodia Visa Online | Vietnam Visa Online | Oman Visa
International Holiday Packages
Dubai Tour Packages | Singapore Tour Packages | Thailand Tour Packages | Malaysia Tour Packages | Sri Lanka Tour Packages | US Tour Packages | United Kingdom Tour Packages | South Africa Tour Packages | Europe Tour Packages | Bali Tour Packages | Mauritius Tour Packages | Maldives Tour Packages | Cordelia Cruise Packages |
Domestic Holiday Packages
India Tour Packages | Goa Tour Packages | Kerala Tour Packages | Leh Ladakh Tour Packages | Himachal Tour Packages | Andaman Tour Packages | Rajasthan Tour Packages | Uttarakhand Tour Packages | Jammu and Kashmir Tour Packages
Packages by Themes
Pune Bangalore Flights | Chennai Delhi Flights | Bangalore Chennai Flights | Mumbai Delhi Flights | Bangalore Hyderabad Flights | Ahmedabad Goa Flights | Mumbai Kolkata Flights | Hyderabad Delhi Flights | Bangalore Goa Flights | Mumbai Goa Flights
Delhi Dubai Flights | Delhi Bangkok Flights | Delhi Toronto Flights | Mumbai Dubai Flights | Delhi Singapore Flights |Delhi London Flights | Delhi Kathmandu Flights | Mumbai London Flights | Chennai Singapore Flights | Mumbai Singapore Flights | Delhi New York Flights |Kolkata Bangkok Flights